Tips For Writing to Your Representatives
A letter or email is the most popular choice of communication with a congressional office.
If you decide to write a letter or email, use this list of helpful suggestions to improve its effectiveness:
- Your purpose for writing should be stated in the first paragraph of the letter.
- If your letter pertains to a specific piece of legislation, identify it accordingly, e.g., House bill: (H. R. ____), Senate bill: (S.____).
- Be courteous, to the point, and include key information
- Use examples to support your position.
- Address only one issue in each letter and, if possible, keep the letter to one page.
Hint: Sometimes letters are not opened immediately; if speed is important, use postcards or faxes.