Skip to main content
Add Me To Your Mailing List
HomeProof of Residence

You must present proof of residence to register to vote.

You do not need to provide a Proof of Residence document, if you are:
  • an active military voter or
  • a permanent overseas voter (with no intent to return to the U.S.).

What image do you want to use for the next large image. Enter the path (URL) to image in the single row table below. Upload image first to web graphics, and then copy the URL

Image URL for 3rd panel

Proof of Residence and Photo ID are Two Separate Processes

A Proof of Residence document

  • proves where you live in Wisconsin and
  • is only needed for registering, not for voting.

Photo ID is separate. You only show photo ID when you request an absentee ballot or a ballot at your polling place. You will find information about acceptable photo IDs here.

Acceptable Proof of Residence Documents Include:

  • A current and valid WI driver’s license or WI photo ID card.
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A utility bill for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before registering.
  • A bank or credit card statement.
  • A paycheck or pay stub.
  • A check or other document issued by any government agency or public school.
  • Homeless voters can prove their voting address with an affidavit from a social service agency.
  • A residential lease valid on date of registration (not valid if registering by mail).
  • A university or college ID card if accompanied by a fee statement for the current semester.


Unsure if your document will qualify as acceptable Proof of Residence?
Contact our Voter Helpline, 608-285-2141.